The shocking lawsuit against X-Men Director Bryan Singer is only the first salvo in a legal campaign to address alleged child molestation by Hollywood powerhouses.
The lawsuit against Singer was filed by acclaimed attorney Jeff Herman who says "Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children," and "this is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue" as reported by Ted Johnson for Variety. Indeed, the Miami-based lawyer says "three more lawsuits will be filed next week" as reported by Kyle Muzenriede for the Miami New Times.
Herman says that since filing the action against Singer "he has been amazed by what he's discovered about the widespread nature of sex abuse in Hollywood and the unspoken knowledge of such conduct" as reported by Ryan Buxton for The Huffington Post:
"I've seen a lot of things -- [defending victims of sexual abuse] is all that I do -- but I don't know that I've ever seen a more organized and ongoing open secret," he said. "I'm getting regular contacts from people saying, 'Oh, you should hear what's happening over here.'" Herman added that he's been told about numerous "vile" rings of sexual predation, some of which overlap. But "the commonality of this is they're all men in Hollywood, all men using their positions of power and influence to sexually exploit children," he said.
Award-winning filmmaker Amy Berg who made the documentary Deliver Us From Evil about molesting priests is at work on a project to expose the degenerate underbelly among the Tinseltown brotherhood, and among her sources is Singer's accuser Michael Egan III as reported by Sara Nathan for the Daily Mail.
Meanwhile, Singer denies the allegations, and says he has proof that he was not even around when the alleged rape of Egan occurred as reported by The Associated Press: "Singer was mainly in Toronto working on the first X-Men movie from August through October 1999, defense attorney Marty Singer told The Associated Press." Moreover, the FBI says that Egan never mentioned Singer when he lodged a 2000 criminal complaint which did result in the conviction of another as reported by TMZ.
There previously have been allegations of powerful entertainment industry figures molesting young boys. For example, in 1975 the NYDA and NYPD initiated an investigation dubbed Operation Together which, among other things, was looking into mob-controlled underage boy sex rings, and according to a now-retired detective assigned to the case with whom this blogger spoke a now-deceased Hollywood director nominated for multiple Oscars was notorious for sex parties at his Long Island estate which were stocked with jail bait. The investigation further allegedly implicated individuals at the highest levels in New York City politics, power and society, and was shut down in 1977 by "top brass" over the objections of assigned investigators and an ADA as they were on the verge of bringing indictments.
A few years later investigator Dale Smith from the New York State Senate's Select Committee on Crime, said in a July 27, 1982 article by the Associated Press that "organized crime in New York" was running a six-city boy prostitution network – Los Angeles, San Francisco, New Orleans, New York, Washington and Houston – with the "male prostitutes between the ages of 13 and 16 . . . shuttled between the cities."
1980s child star Corey Feldman claims in his recent memoir Coreyography that the entertainment industry in Hollywood is riddled with pedophiles who prey on the young talent as reported by Sherryl Connelly for the Daily News: "Feldman . . . charges that the 'number one problem in Hollywood was, and is, and always will be, pedophilia.'"
Query whether the FBI -- a Bureau spokespersons insists it "vigorously pursues all allegations involving the sexual abuse of minors" as reported by Hollie McKay for Fox News -- has yet sent any special agents to interview Feldman about his repeated claims.
Further reading that may be of interest: