Raynald Desjardins, a reputed mobster charged with the November 2011 hit
on ex-Bonanno boss Salvatore Montagna in a bid for control over the
Montreal Mafia, has lost his bid to quash a subpoena ordering his appearance before the
Charbonneau Commission which is probing corruption allegations in the
award of public contracts in the construction industry as reported by CBC News: "Justice France Charbonneau who heads the provincial probe . . . said in her ruling on Thursday that Desjardins has information
pertinent to the inquiry, noting he has links to a company tied to
organized crime and a labour union boss."
Wise guys, dirty officials and greedy contractors were engaged in a
bid rigging racket for the award of public works projects in Montreal, QB Canada, and interlopers who were not part of the cabal received threats according to testimony before the Charbonneau Commission which is probing the corruption allegations as reported by The Canadian Press: "with
death threats and intimidation, the Mob would seek to squeeze out
companies when they competed for work against members of the city's
The good people in Montreal, QB Canada deserve better.
A full-scale Mafia war is littering the streets with corpses. A government commission is investigating allegations that contractors paid kickbacks to wise guys and dirty officials in a pervasive bid rigging racket for the award of public works projects. The city's mayor resigned on Monday amid the corruption inquiry.
And now questions are being raised over the hiring of lawyer Marie-Helene Giroux in the Quebec prosecutors' office to work on municipal corruption cases even though she previously defended suspected mobsters and is married to lawyer Clement Monterosso who has represented reputed boss Vito Rizzuto as reported by QMI Agency. In commenting on the appointment former Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe does not question the integrity of Giroux and Monterosso but says "in our justice system there should be no conflict of interest or even the appearance of a conflict of interest," and "this is playing with fire."
The Charbonneau Commission continues its hearings this week into claims
that the Montreal Mafia and public officials were colluding together in the award of government contracts to construction companies from which they took kickbacks, and
yesterday Martin Dumont, a former staffer with Mayor Gérald Tremblay's Union Montreal party, "testified about bizarre financial dealings he witnessed in his previous
career in Montreal municipal politics -- like the safe so stuffed with
cash it wouldn't close" as reported by The Canadian Press.
The Charbonneau Commission continues its hearings this week into claims that the Montreal Mafia and public officials were colluding together in the award of government contracts to construction companies, and yesterday former city engineer Gilles Surprenant testified about the schemes including his personal ties to reputed mob boss Vito Rizzuto as reported by Monique Muise for The Gazette: "Surprenant said he played golf several times with Rizzuto, even travelling with him to the Dominican Republic in 1997 for a weeklong holiday." The Dominican Republic holiday was just one of the many gifts and bribes Surprenant claims to have received -- a total value in the hundreds of thousands of dollars -- "in exchange for helping to rig the bidding on municipal contracts" as reported by CBC News.
The Charbonneau Commission in Montreal, QB Canada is investigating claims that wise guys and local politicians are taking cuts from government
contracts to construction companies in a pervasive bid rigging scheme but will not allow testimony concerning any alleged role of federal officials in the sorry mess as reported by The Canadian Press:
"a spokesman for Quebec's construction probe told The Canadian Press
that attempts to inspect incriminating evidence within federal circles
would be ruled outside the inquiry mandate," and "he said witnesses could be interrupted if they veer into a subject
deemed off-topic -- such as the financing of federal political parties."
Meanwhile, construction magnate Tony Accurso has announced "that he's quitting his executive posts at his billion-dollar empire,
rocked by corruption allegations and tax fraud" as reported by Brian Daly for QMI Agency: "he has been arrested twice this year, once for alleged tax evasion and again for alleged fraud." Accurso's name surfaced at the Charbonneau Commission when Lino Zambito testified that "Mafia don Vito
Rizzuto once mediated a dispute between him and Accurso" although Accurso denies the allegation.